Monday, December 12, 2011

Survey and SUMBanquet

Today I had Survey, which is basically when we all hang up our work from the semester and the illustration professors give us feedback/talk over each other. It went pretty well, though I took a little flak for working digitally all the time (which kind of blows my mind... because I'd say a good many illustrators work digitally these days...) but whatevs! I work how I work. Here's a photo of my wall:



    Also, last night I attended my final SUMB Banquet (or as we like to call it, SUMBanquet. We're big fans of acronyms in the SUMB). It was incredibly bittersweet. My experience with the marching band has been by far my best experience at Syracuse. It's been such a massive part of my life for the past 4 years that I know I'm going to be lost without it... for a little while, anyway. But it's okay, because if it never ended then it wouldn't be so meaningful.
    This past football season was anticlimactic to say the least, and it just didn't feel like my time with the SUMB was over. I didn't have any sense of closure (I realize closure doesn't always happen in real life, but for someone as crazy about stories at me it's something that I've kind of come to expect in my own little narrative), and was feeling pretty sad about the whole thing. But last night was the perfect way to end any season; I got to spend one last evening with some of the most fun people I've ever met. It was the last time that we would all be together.


    There are a few awards given out each year, and one of them is called the Floyd F. Decker Award. It's given to a 4-year band member who exhibits dedication, leadership, and pride, and for some reason they decided to give it to me. I was shocked; I felt like I didn't do anything to deserve it, but I think that's kind of the point... It's not about who's the loudest, or the most boisterous; it's about being steadfast and loyal and committed, and sometimes that's not the most obvious person. To say I'm honored would be an understatement. I'm pretty sure I felt an entirely new emotion last night, after the shock wore off. I felt truly appreciated. It's incredibly validating to be recognized for just being who you are.


"Loyal be thy sons and daughters to they memory."
I love the SUMB and I always will. Forever Orange.

-Anna

No comments:

Post a Comment